Souls Astray

Kellyn has the prettiest covers gosh
Author: Kellyn Roth
Genre: Historical romance
Content: Adele lives a fairly sleazy lifestyle, trying to fit into the 1920s crowd.
Main Characters: Adele Collier and Troy Kee
Placement in Series: Prequel to book 1
Synopsis:
Adele has been lost for a long time now ... Adele Collier has sought a carefree lifestyle ever since her tragic childhood. Determined to never allow anyone or anything to control her life or emotions again, she consistently seeks distraction in gaiety. But shaking her ghosts isn’t as easy as she’d like.
Troy Kee has been alone in the world since the Great War took his parents and left him in care of his younger sister. When she marries, he’s left to seek after his goal of a healthy, complete family. But how can he focus on his dream when trouble plagues his family vineyard?
When Adele and Troy meet, a whirlwind romance begins—but can two lost souls have a healthy relationship?
Add on Goodreads ~ Purchase on Amazon ~ Kellyn's review of the content ~ Official webpage
What I Thought:
This book was equal parts

and

I have a love-hate relationship with prequels and this is the prime example of why. I absolutely loved seeing Adele and Troy's life stories. I had wondered how exactly it all went down leading up to The Lady of the Vineyard, so I was pumped to learn about it first hand. But goodness gracious, my emotions!! were all over the place!! ahhhhh!!! Because I knew where they ended up at the beginning of TLotV and thus I knew the whole thing was going too well and then I was SAD.
As far as the characters go, I'm still kind of meh about Adele. I understand her more now, but she's just not my cup of tea, I think. But let me just say, Kellyn has such a way of making me fall in love with her male leads. Peter? Yes. Jordy? Oh yes. Troy?? My sweet baby child who did nothing wrong and deserves only the best in this world. He needs a hug. I wanna give him a hug.
Other things Kellyn did really well:
- the setting, both historically and location-wise
- writing kids (she's really good at that, man)
- writing three very different family dynamics and making them all fully fleshed out and interesting.
- "funny how someone dying meant that one spent ages working on trying to get money transferred and all other sorts of things that really didn't matter, that one really didn't care about because a dear person was gone. but one had to." TRUE
- the faith content. it's not preachy, but it's great. and she's honest about the short-comings of the church, how we're imperfect sinners, but how there's still redemption to be had.
- the scene where troy came into the flower shop was the cutest thing ever OOF.
- making me feel ALL the things.
Basically, if you haven't read a Kellyn Roth book and you like hisfic romance at all, what are you even doing with your life? Go read her books.
Overall Rating: 4 flower bouquets out of 5
About the Author:
Kellyn Roth lives on an Eastern Oregon ranch with her parents, little brothers, border collies, cats, and a few dozen cows and chickens. Always a lover of a good story, and especially of telling one, she's been writing since she was seven and published her first novel at fourteen. Now a homeschool grad, she divides her time between penning her next Christian historical fiction novel, creating professionally silly articles for her blog, and her actual life. Actual life plays second fiddle sometimes, though.
Connect with Kellyn: Her website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads ~ Google+ ~ Instagram ~ Pinterest ~ Youtube ~ Amazon ~ her personal blog ~ her review blog
GIVEAWAY for a signed paperback of the book + a $20 Amazon gift card! Click here!
Huge shout-out to Kellyn for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
Yeah, I think a re-read of the rest of the Kees & Colliers series is in my very near future.
~ Abby


Thanks so much for joining me, Abigail! Loved your review!
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting me participate, Kellyn! :D I loved the book! <3
Delete