I've loved this series so much since what feels like forever, but somehow I never managed to read this book?? Idk what happened?? But now it's finally made its way into my life and I couldn't be more thrilled. It's also available right now so you can go and read it yourself! Yay!! But before you do that, here's my review:
Ivy Introspective

Author: Kellyn Roth
Genre: Historical fiction
Content: None
Main characters: Ivy Knight and Nora Chattoway
Synopsis:
Ivy Knight lives her life in a blur of confusion as the world passes her by in a tumultuous melody. She isn’t the perfect daughter or student, but as long as she can be with her family, she doesn’t mind watching rather than living.
Mrs. Chattoway treasures both of her granddaughters now that they’re reunited. When Ivy’s parents enroll her in a Scottish school for unique children, she’s happy to chaperone.
In a new place with a new guardian, Ivy discovers a special talent that helps her see the blurred world in a new way. There’s a light at the end of the tunnel, and Ivy becomes determined to find it—and help others do the same.
Add on Goodreads ~ Purchase on Amazon
What I Thought:

I'm not crying, you're crying. (that's a lie, I'm totally crying)
This was so WHOLESOME. my HEART. I'm EMOTIONAL.
Okay hold on let's get a hold of ourselves here.
So this was pretty much perfect. A couple of years ago, I read At Her Fingertips and Beyond Her Calling and fell in love with both of them. (And yes, I read The Dressmaker's Secret too) But somehow this one got missed in the shuffle, and in a lot of ways, that just made reading it now so much sweeter.
Ivy is one of my favorite female protagonists, okay? She's just such a pure little bean, I want to protect her from everything. She's also an introvert through and through, and I related to her so much. As much as I love Alice, she can be a lot, but Ivy is just out here doing her best and I'm proud of her for it. (Also, I thought I'd gotten over being in love with Jordy MacAllen, but noooope. what a precious baby boy. my face lit up when he walked onto the scene and I have no shame.) ((although let's clarify, I'm in love with grown-up Jordy, not 16-year-old Jordy. that would be weird.))
I also loved Nora's storyline so much? It made me so emotional? The way she was so desperate to be loved by her family, how much she and Ivy were alike and didn't know it, the way God used those around her to heal her, it was all beautiful and such a pleasant surprise.
Oh, and Violet! I didn't care much for Violet in Beyond Her Calling, but now I can't wait to re-read that one, just to see if my opinions of her have changed. I understand her so much better now. I'm so sad.
The faith content was beautiful. It wove perfectly through the story, the message of God's grace and love becoming apparent as the characters discovered it.
I just kind of loved everything about this? The Chronicles of Alice and Ivy is seriously one of my favorite historical fiction series ever, and I've missed it, tbh. It's nice to be back with these characters. <3
Overall Rating: 5 piano playing prodigies out of 5
About the Author:
Kellyn Roth lives on an Eastern Oregon ranch with her parents, little brothers, border collies, cats, and a few dozen cows and chickens. Always a lover of a good story, and especially of telling one, she's been writing since she was seven and published her first novel at fourteen. Now a homeschool grad, she divides her time between penning her next Christian historical fiction novel, creating professionally silly articles for her blog, and her actual life. Actual life plays second fiddle sometimes, though.
Connect with Kellyn: Her website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads ~ Instagram ~ Pinterest ~ Amazon ~ her personal blog
A huge thank you to Kellyn for sending me a copy of this book for review! Have you read any of Kellyn's books? Let me know in the comments below!
~ Abby


Eek! This review made me so happy! And thank you for the aesthetic, once again. It's so charming and perfect!
ReplyDeleteYay!! <3 I'm so glad you like it!! :D So excited for you with this release!!
Delete