Sunday, July 29, 2018

The "World's Beneath" Blog Tour {+ review of "The Blood Race"!}

Oh, hey, yeah, I have a blog!  Lookie there.

Hi people!  I know, I know, I haven't posted anything since July 6 and I'm so very sorry about that.  BUT I am back and I ready for this super exciting blog tour! 

 
What is "World's Beneath", you ask?

Well, let me tell you.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39978200-worlds-beneath

It's the newly-released sequel to the awesome book "The Blood Race",

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35858210-the-blood-race

 which I just read and now I get to review for you!

Title: The Blood Race
Author: K.A. Emmons
Genre: Sci-fi/Fantasy
Content: Several curse words throughout, one character's backstory includes her being raped, and a good bit of violence.

Synopsis:
I’ve been running from my past for one hundred years. And I’m still just a teenager.  
I was selected by my teacher, Sensei, to train in The Dimension: a secret place of refuge for the ‘anomalies’ of past, present, and future earth. Here I would learn to connect to my ‘warrior within’ as Sensei calls it - to channel energy orbs, commute between realms, and even shape-shift into an alternate form. But never did I guess that my training would include taking on an anomaly student of my own: a loose cannon of a college guy named Ion.
Late one evening, I invite him over to Sensei’s house for a little chat; one that will turn his life upside-down. Shoving him into the broom closet turned portal, I drag Ion into the Dimension, opening his eyes to his true homeland: a realm of anomalies. His kin.
As we train to become Protectors of future Earth, battling each other as well as our own demons, I begin to realize that there’s more to Ion than I originally thought: a darkness he’s spent his life running from. And beyond that, a looming threat hidden in plain sight - something that could destroy me, him, and the future of Earth.


Placement in Series: 1 of 2

What I Thought:
Wow.  That ending though.
I had heard glowing reviews of this book from several friends, and when I started I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it.  There's quite a lot of language at the beginning, and I wasn't the hugest fan of Ion as a character.  But once I got past the first few chapters and into the plot, ooh boy was it hard to put down.  The character development, the fascinating originality of the Dimension, the Christian allegory woven through, it was really good.
The only downside was the language.  I don't normally have an issue with language in books, and I wouldn't have in this one if I had been warned about it.  It caught me off guard, and thus I was annoyed by it, so I'm making you aware so you don't end up like me xD
But other than that it was awesome.  When I finished, the first thing I said was "whoa". 

My rating: 4 hawk feathers out of 5

About the Author:
When she’s not hermiting away in her colorfully-painted home office writing her next science fiction, passionate story-teller and adventurer Kate Emmons is probably on the road for a surf or hiking trip, listening to vinyls, or going for a power run.
Emmons’ debut novel The Blood Race is the first book in her YA science fiction/fantasy thriller series.

You can connect with Kate on her website, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and her blog!

You can pick up a copy of The Blood Race here and a copy of World's Beneath here!

The blog tour was put together by Livy Lynn - for more information check out this link!

Huge thank you to both Livy and Kate for letting me participate and read such an awesome book! :D
~ Abby

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm looking forward to reading this. =D

    Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first book, I can't wait to read this one! <3

    ReplyDelete