Friday, August 28, 2020

The Dark King's Curse Review {Tattered Slippers Blog Tour}

Welcome to my second stop for the Tattered Slippers blog tour!  Today takes us deep into the Dreammidst, following a lady-in-waiting determined to stop a curse.


Since this is a blog tour, make sure you check out all the other amazing posts so far from my fellow hosts by clicking this link right here!  There's also information there to do with the giveaway where you can win 3 of the releases in paperback!  How cool is that?? 

And with that, let's get into the review.


The Dark King's Curse

53968083. sy475

Author: Wyn Estelle Owens
Genre: Fantasy fairytale retelling
Content: None
Main Character: Ailsa

Synopsis:
A darkness seems to hang over the lands of Conall, slowly but surely growing in strength with each passing year.
It all comes to a head when the twelve daughters of King Muir begin to disappear each night. None will admit where they go, and the only clue is their shoes; new in the evening, tattered and torn by morning.
When no one can stop the disappearances, Ailsa--lady-in-waiting to the youngest princess--volunteers to try and solve the mystery, or she and her peers will pay the consequences for failing to watch over their charges.
Armed with nothing but her gift of Fae-sight, Ailsa ventures forth on a quest to free her lady and the other princesses. With the help of an grumpy, glamoured gardener, a cursed faerie cat, and the mysterious Lord of Autumn, she may discover both the secrets and the truth behind the Dark King that lies at the root of the curse.

Add on Goodreads ~ Purchase on Amazon 

What I Thought:

*happy sigh* So I binged this book in less than 24 hours, partially because I needed to get this review up today, and partially because I was so engrossed in the story.  It's been a long time since I've read a fae-centered book, but this one was something special.

First thing, I need to talk about the characters because I am obsessed with them!  Ailsa and Fionn's friendship is everything to meee (oh and Siobhra, obviously), Ailsa's friendship with the princess is so cute, the ships are so soft and wholesome, and just like... all the relationships are perfect.  I am soft.  I just appreciate so much how most of the time, 12DP retellings follow a solo hero, who's doing it on his (or her) own, but in this book it's a whole questing squad, and I'm here for it.

There are a looot of dream sequences in this book, which normally I'm not a fan of, but I didn't mind too much here.  There were still bits that confused me, but overall were still intriguing enough to keep me going.  I loved the whole concept of the seasonal courts, and the King of Autumn was one of my favorite characters, tbh.  The magic system was epic, the mystery was intriguing, the banter was everything.  I was unsure how I would feel about this book, but I'm happy to report that I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Recommended for fans of fae magic, talking cats, friendly banter, and gentle romance.

Overall Rating: 4 silver tree branches out of 5

About the Author:
Wyn Estelle Owens is the penname of a young woman who’s still figuring out what this whole ‘adult’ thing is all about. She lives in a big, old house in Maryland by a Hundred Acre Wood (dubbed Neldoreth) with her parents, three occasionally obnoxious brothers, her dog Jackie, and her personal plot bunny, Joker.
She is fond of reading, writing, drawing, speaking in dead or imaginary languages, playing videogames, quoting classic or obscure literature, being randomly dramatic, and generally making things out of yarn. Her dream is to write stories that inspire people to chase after the wonderful world of storytelling.
Her favorite all-time authors are Anne Elisabeth Stengl, Christa Kinde, and above all, J.R.R. Tolkien, who first inspired her to pursuing novel writing when she read the Hobbit at the age of seven
.

Connect with Wyn Estelle Owens: Goodreads ~ Facebook ~ Amazon 

Don't forget to check out all the other amazing Tattered Slippers blog posts at this link right here, and stay tuned for more reviews from me this week!

~ Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment